So, while being at my grandparents place this weekend I took the chance to use their numerous tools and workbench to build a stereo array for my pair of Røde NT1-A’s.

Press here to see Tom Williams nice guide that I followed. I must say that I’m kind of proud that I actually managed to put this together.

Attaching the metal plate to a tripod quick mount.Attaching the metal plate to the tripod quick mount.

Adjusting the plastic tubes to the length of the NT1-A’s

Voila, shock mounts completed

Here you can see how the suspensions for the mics are attached

My grandmother showed how to go about sewing the windscreens

Here the completed rig is seen under my test. I’m going to cut of an additional 10-15cms from the windscreens.

The pre-drilled holes in the 20cm long metal plate that the microphones are attached to makes it easy to play around with different distances between them, 17cm apart being the ortf-standard. This gives me plenty of in-field options for my rig when it comes to experimenting with different stereo images. So from this day on I’ll always bring a wrench.

As the weekend indeed have been very windy at the Swedish west coast I was offered the perfect opportunity to try out my new gear. The recording found below captures the wind taking hold of trees, bushes and leaves in the forest next to my grandparents backyard just minutes before a light rain began to fall. The low frequency thumps that can be heard is the product of me sloppily leaving one of the mic-cables hanging freely in the wind, resulting in it repeatedly hitting the tripod that the NT1-A’s were mounted on. As I was stressed by the oncoming rain i decided to keep on recording, it just being a test and all.

Geek note: 2xRøde NT1-A (ortf-position, 17 cm spacing, improvised angle) -> Rolls PB223 -> Sony PCM-D50 (low cut filter on to reduce the effects of the wind)

Advertisements